The Green Gathering was great. It was a lot like the charrette I helped run in Chicago…voting by dots for each project, trying to figure out what the citizens would pay for. Some of the items were about improving walkability and safety–a city after my own heart <3. It was fantastic. I will be going to more of this stuff!Charrette-style voting by dots: blue is what you personally support, red is what the City’s priority should be, and green is what you would pay for.
Some of the proposed projects:
- Redeveloping Market 201 with taller buildings, corridors to the water, and extremely accessible transit access
- Giving the rapids back to Grand Rapids by creating a white water rafting course using dams
- Giving Grand Rapids (FINALLY! PLEASE!?) a permanent farmer’s market area
- Making GR more bikeable–bike lanes downtown
- Making it easier for citizens to create community gardens
- Making GR a city where everyone lives a quarter mile away from a park.
Cool stuff. I’m proud of my city.